Re: Scripting Installs?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:46:34AM -0500, Glenn Sieb wrote:
>I know I asked something similar to this earlier, but only 1/2 of my
>question was answered.
>
>The first part was "how do I specify that I want the install to come from a
>specific server" and the second was "how do I tell the install that I want
>you to just install the following packages"
>
>I got some very helpful hints, but unfortunately, they're aimed at geeks
>like us.
>
>I'm looking to get this rolled out to remote sites for users. Specifically:
>Sales people. (yes yes I hear the groans already :) )
>
>I want to know if I can do the following:
>
>Script the install so it does the following:
>
>Force the install to pick packages up from *our* server (for version
>control purposes, we don't want one sales guy installing and getting
>OpenSSH version 2.a and another to get 2.b or 2.c), and gives no other
>options for the user. (Something like: setup.exe
>http://server.lumeta.com/cygwin)
>
>Tell the install "Ok bud--*these* are the packages you install. No more, no
>less. Don't ask. Just do it!"
>
>I appreciate all your help, guys--I love the product and we're looking
>forward to getting a lot of use out of it! :)

Have you looked into the setup.exe sources?

There is obviously no "scripting" available for setup.exe beyond the
setup.ini file.  There is nothing stopping you from generating your own
version of this, however.  The format is documented at the cygwin web
site.

There is no way currently to avoid having setup.exe access the cygwin
site for updates to setup.ini, if that is what the user asks it to do.
The primary purpose of setup.exe is to install a complete cygwin
distribution.  I don't really see any reason to change this behavior but
you can certainly modify setup to fit your needs.

If you don't really need the gui-ness of setup.exe then just use
standard tools -- tar, bzip2, mount to extract what you need.  Write
.bat files or something.

cgf