What Is whatis?

Hi,

Well, I know the answer, but I have a penchant for cute subject headers.

While just now reading the thread on setting up the "crontab" file, I did
my usual "apropos cron" (and similar) and was perplexed to see no results.
I could "man cron", "man crontab" and "man 5 crontab" and it was obvious
that those man pages contained words in their synopsis lines that should
have caused them to show up in the output of "apropos."

Then it dawned on me: I hadn't run "makewhatis" since I first installed
Cygwin on this system, the better part of a year ago.

So, the moral is: As you install new or update existing packages, any man
pages they add (or whose synopsis lines are altered in updated package) do
not result in new or updated entries in "/usr/man/whatis" so one is well
advised to occasionally re-run "makewhatis."

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA