Re: [GENERAL] Problems with initdb on Cygwin

===
----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Clift" <justin@postgresql.org>
To: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>; "Rick Rankin"
<rick_rankin@yahoo.com>; "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Cc: "Joerg Hessdoerfer" <Joerg.Hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com>; "Cygwin
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problems with initdb on Cygwin

> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks heaps for the offer.  :)
>
> One of our users Joerg kindly pointed out a solution (and when tested,
> it solved the problem).
>
> It seems there's a lack of info about needing cygipc to be installed
> when installing cygwin.

I believe it's mentioned in /usr/doc/Cygwin/Postgresql-version.README.

> Would it be possible to add something about it to the cygwin FAQ?
It's
> possible PostgreSQL is the only one affected, but I'm not sure.

PostgreSQL is the only one affected. For licencing reasons we cannot
integrate the cygipc package into the cygwin1.dll, and the correct
location for the IPC functionality is to be closely tied to the
emulation layer.

There is work in progress to replace cygipc, but until then, the package
maintainers decided against including cygipc, as it would likely reduce
the motivation to create the replacement.

Rob