Re: A cygwin hosted MinGW targeted cross platform

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 04:23:30PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Red Hat uses something like:
>>
>>/usr/H-i686-pc-cygwin
>>
>>for the cygwin "H"osted tools.
>>
>>Underneath that you get something like:
>>
>>i686-pc-cygwin
>>i686-pc-linux
>>etc.
>>
>>for the targeted tools.
>>
>>So, in this instance you'd have:
>>
>>/usr/H-i686-pc-cygwin/i686-pc-mingw32
>

>Yeah, but don't we want to *avoid* colliding with the GNUpro stuff?  If
>that's where Red Hat puts the various cygwin-hosted/other-target cross
>compilers that come with GNUpro, shouldn't we pick something ELSE?

I was offering an example of the way Red Hat does things.

I actually got the above example wrong.  The real path that we use
is either

/usr/cygnus/H-i686-pc-cygwin/i686-pc-mingw32 (deprecated)

or (I think)

/usr/redat/H-i686-pc-cygwin/i686-pc-mingw32

or, possibly,

/opt/redhat/H-i686-pc-cygwin/i686-pc-mingw32

So, that wouldn't conflict with anything that Earnie is doing.  I don't
know that the H-whatever makes sense in this scenario but, like I said,
I was just offering an example.

Even if, for some reason, the decision was made to use /opt/redhat,
I can assure everyone that it is very very unlikely that Red Hat
will ever be offering a i686-pc-mingw32 cross compilation environment
in the GNUpro toolkit.

>I like /usr/cross, myself, so you could have /usr/cross/i686-pc-mingw,
>/usr/cross/arm-v4l-linux, etc.

Actually, if Earnie follows anyone's advice in this thread, he'd end up
overwriting at least one user's layout.  If he uses something as
straightforward as /usr/cross, he'd probably end up overwriting more
than one.

If this proposal is for a standard cygwin package, then it should
just live in /usr/...  The mingw binaries go to
/usr/bin/i686-pc-mingw-{gdb,as,gcc}, gcc libraries in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-mingw, and additional files in
/usr/i686-pc-mingw/....

Otherwise, if we want to avoid overwriting existing stuff, then
the only alternative is to use something like /usr/earnie_release/...
or something.

cgf