After new install, start in /usr/bin/{myname} not in /home/{myname}

Extraordinary, this. Cygwin (latest version) was today installed on a W98
machine in a way not obviously different from many previous new installs --
that is, from a zip disk including just setup.exe + /contrib/* + /latest/*
and no setup.ini. The startup location after keying
"\Cygwin\bin\bash --login -i" was /usr/bin/{myname} not /home/{myname}.

I agree it might be regarded as asking for trouble to install without
setup.ini, but this pleasing starkness has always worked in the past.
Anyway, is doing without it necessarily the cause of the problem? If anybody
can pinpoint what has occurred here I will be very pleased to know it.

(I tried a 2nd time to install, after wiping \Cygwin\ _and_ all mentions of
Cyg* in the registry. Exactly the same outcome.)

Fergus