Resolved my SSH password problem...but what's the explanation?

I installed the latest cygwin stuff the other day, and was unable to get
ssh to work.  Specifically, after setting up host keys and my user keys,
ssh-ing to myself would give me a password prompt.  Quite inconvenient
and annoying!

After futzing around with this, I discovered that running sshd from a
bash window would result in it working.  AHA!  Must be a file protection
problem of some sort.

Further searching finally led me to 'chown SYSTEM .ssh/authorized_keys2'
and voila!  It works now.

I'm pretty sure that I've set up previous versions of cygwin on other
systems and did not have to do this.

So, my question is.why did I have to do this now?

In any event, I'm running fine now, and hopefully if anyone else is
seeing this, this note will be useful.

Benn Schreiber