Re: Descriptor passing between process

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:18:13PM +0300, Egor Duda wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thursday, 24 January, 2002 Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:
>
> CV> It *could* be implemented.
>
> CV> First we would have to implement the control message passing at all and
> CV> when it's available we could perhaps even implement descriptor passing
> CV> using the DuplicateHandle() function.
>
> To call DuplicateHandle() you must have a process handle of the peer.
> i don't know how can we do it properly without cygwin daemon.

Yes, why not.  Did you have a look into Robert's daemon so far?

> btw, i wonder if descriptor sent through AF_LOCAL socket whould remain
> valid after sender closes it? and what about "after sender terminates"?

We're talking about Cygwin processes not native Windows processes,
so we should be able to handle that (more or less) correctly.
What if the sender is blocked until the daemon got a descriptor
copy?  Then the sender can do what it wants.  Just a draft.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.