Re: stop cygwin sed adding ^M

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:54:42PM -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 03:58:57PM +0100, Schaible, Jorg wrote:
> >May be you should read the FAQ regarding text mounts ??
>
> sed is a fully ported utility.  It is supposed to read CRLF text on
> standard input and produce only UNIX-style newline endings on standard
> output.

There's one situation I know that it actually converts LF to CRLF.

Say, you have a file foo:

$ od -c foo
0000000   h   a   l   l   o  \n
0000006

and your currently in a textmode mounted directory, then

$ sed -e 's/ll/nn/' foo > bar

creates actually a CRLF file bar:

$ od -c bar
0000000   h   a   n   n   o  \r  \n
0000007

and that's defined behaviour.  That isn't even going on in sed.
The stdio redirection has already happened in the shell and sed
is just using that file descriptor.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.