kill -9 restarts system?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever come across this... I have a script that
looks like this :

for $p in prog1 prog2 prog3 prog4 ; do

  ps | grep $p | sed 's/get_pid/kill -9 pid/' | sh

done

Essentially, this script (I cant remember what my sed stuff is, but it works)
will kill all of the processes in a list (prog1, prog2, prog3, etc).

This works well for the most part.  BUT... every once in a while, my machine
reboots itself.  It doesnt happen very often, but when it does, it happens with
no warning, all the way back to the BIOS load screen, as if I had just hit the
reset button on my puter.

Any insight?
Brian