RE: libtool-devel and kde2

> 1) This discussion should be on-list.  I've copied this to the cygwin
> mailing list.
>
> 2) Ummm...you're not USING libtool-devel.  You have deliberately
> overriden the auto-version detection, and are using
> /usr/autotool/stable/* for both "stable" and "devel" projects.  (You set
>   the environment variable AUTO_DEVEL=/usr/autotool/stable)
>
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
> > now I have made some tries with the new libtool devel-20010531-rc5.
>

> Nope, you're using libtool stable 1.4.2

Hmm perhaps I have written to short to understand the full context.

I have installed

> > $ cygcheck -c | grep auto
> > autoconf            2.52-5
> > autoconf-devel      2.52-4
> > autoconf-stable     2.13-4
> > automake            1.5a-1
> > automake-devel      1.5-5
> > automake-stable     1.4p5-5

and than downloaded your libtool devel-20010531-rc5 and installed in /usr/local ...

habacker@BRAMSCHE ~/src/xc/lib/ICE
$ which libtoolize
/usr/local/bin/libtoolize

$ ls /usr/local/bin/libtool -l
lrwxrwxrwx    1 habacker Kein          161 Jan 11 10:05 /usr/local/bin/libtool ->
/usr/autotool/devel/bin/libtool

habacker@BRAMSCHE ~/src/xc/lib/ICE
$ which libtool
/usr/local/bin/libtool

$ ls /usr/local/bin/libtoolize -l
lrwxrwxrwx    1 habacker Kein          167 Jan 11 10:05 /usr/local/bin/libtoolize ->
/usr/autotool/devel/bin/libtoolize

> AUTO_DEVEL=/usr/autotool/stable

This I need because kde2 only supports autoconf 2.13 and automake 1.4x.

Than I have created a new source project with some c files and NEWS,README and so one, a
configure.in and a Makefile.am.

Than I have done:

> > libtoolize -c -f --ltdl
> > You should add the contents of `/usr/autotool/devel/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
> > Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `admin'.
> > cp /usr/autotool/devel/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 acinclude.m4
> > aclocal
> > automake -a -c --gnu -v
> > automake: reading configure.in
> > automake: reading aclocal.m4
> > automake: reading Makefile.am
> > automake: creating Makefile.in
> > autoconf
> > $ ./configure
> > creating cache ./config.cache
> > checking for Cygwin environment... no
> > checking for mingw32 environment... no
> > checking how to run the C preprocessor... grep: conftest.out: No such file or directory
> >                                                 ^^^ this depends on using cc
> instead of gcc
> > cc -E
> > checking for gcc... gcc
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
> > checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> >
> > The only way to solve this problem seems to be exporting CC=gcc before
> configuring. Any ideas
> > ?
And the above mentioned messages are printed. This files for this were appended to my
previous mail, so that you can verify this problem.
I have recognized, that the wrong CC var is the problem.
The created configure looks like following

.... line 676
ac_ext=c
# CFLAGS is not in ac_cpp because -g, -O, etc. are not valid cpp options.
ac_cpp='$CPP $CPPFLAGS'
ac_compile='${CC-cc} -c $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext 1>&5'
              ^^^^^^
ac_link='${CC-cc} -o conftest${ac_exeext} $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS
1>&5'
           ^^^^^
cross_compiling=$ac_cv_prog_cc_cross

before this there isn't any setting of CC.

This was the first problem. Do you any ideas where this have to be patched ?

When we have a solution for this, I will go to the next problem :-)

Ralf