trying again wrt xemacs segfault

Here's what I keep trying to say:

[I sent this to comp.emacs.xemacs a week ago, no replies]

I'm getting a segfault during fontification in xemacs
21.4.6-built-for-cygwin, the binary (setup.exe) xemacs distribution, when
re_search_2 calls re_match_2_internal at offset 1016

I'm running cygwin 1.3.6-6.

This is the same fault I hit with 21.4.5.

Doesn't happen with 21.4.3.

File to provoke the fault attached -- I'm using the
html-font-lock-keywords from psgml-html.el

A more attentive check shows that fontification of the crash-provoking
file under 21.4.3 provokes an abort!  Modest work with edebug does not
reveal any way of finding how the abort is being raised. . . ah, if I
edit out the condition-case in font-lock-default-fontify-buffer, I see

File mode specification error: (error "Stack overflow in regexp matcher")

So it seems possible that under 21.4.5 and .6, under cygwin, (some)
stack overflows cause a segfault --- does this help localise the
problem?

ht

The previous messages contain the .htm file which provokes the crash.

I'm baffled by the mailer problem -- my outgoing archive shows a
multi-part mime message with a plain part followed by the attachment,
but the archive [1] and the message as received show only the
attachment.  Has there been a change in list software recently?

ht

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg00943.html