RE: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin

Yes. I conciously left that part out, trying to only imply the case where
one is using up-to-date autoconf. My fault for being less precise.

> > Using Robert's invocation WOULD put configure in cross-compile mode.
> But
> > since using Cygwin GCC to generate MinGW is ALMOST like a
> cross-compile, it
> > will work out ok. In fact, one compelling reason to use Robert's
> method is
> > because one wants the configure script to use the correct build tools,
> e.g.
> > cp instead of copy, rm instead of del, etc. I tend to agree that the
> build
> > environment IS Cygwin for this very reason.
> >
> > So here's a question. If configure is put into cross-compile mode
> (with
> > Robert's method), then wouldn't it be the case that configure would
> NOT
> > execute test binaries? If so, does that hurt the configuration process
> in
> > any way? Is this a problem?
>
> Errgle. It _can_ affect the configure process. Say for instance, squid.
> Squid uses test binaries to determine socket sizes, maximum fd limits
> and the like, which it can't do during a cross compile run, so the cross
> compiler (individual) has to provide those on the command line.
> Cross-compiling certainly reduces the 'magic' detection that can take
> place.
>
> Rob

Grrr... This makes one start believing that Earnie's method is more correct.
I suppose the right answer to this question is: use whichever method seems
to work best for the project that you're working on. If they both work the
same, then use your favorite one.

Jon