Re: ksh on cygwin

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 09:50:50AM -0500, Fleischer, Karsten (K.) wrote:
> > If we just left out that patch we won't have a problem.
>
> OK.
>
> > > Two other patches mimic UWIN behavior. That can not be a
> > problem, since Cygwin also has adopted the UWIN symbolics links.
> >
> > Mimicing isn't a problem as long as you didn't look into the
> > sources and get the idea from there.  If you just looked how
> > it works from examining the behaviour of the binaries, that's
> > ok.
>
> Again, I cannot have had a look into the sources. They are not available to the public.
> [...]
> All other patches are bug fixes or small corrections to make Cygwin behave more consistent.

Yeah, I was talking only about AST related stuff.  If a patch
has nothing to do with AST, go ahead.  But be aware that we will
discuss it and it still could be rejected, of course.  That's
one of the most frustrating situations when contributing to an
OSS project for the first time but we all had to go through it.

> > Licensing issues are really a big *@#$ but we have to be careful.
> > We may not even take any code which smells GPL.  It would infect
> > the Cygwin Library License.  For that reason we're most happy
> > about completely self-written code or copies/ports of BSD licensed
> > source.
>
> Are the issues cleared now?

It would be good if *you* are thinking they are cleared.  If you're
feeling to move on thin ice with one of your patches, just hold this
part back.  Please understand, we *want* to trust our contributors.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.