Re: ksh on cygwin

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:04:47AM +0100, Karsten Fleischer wrote:
>It's not a major change.  SUSv2 doesn't say that you have to use
>/bin/sh for a shell.  It even says that $SHELL can name the user's
>favorite shell.

Every UNIX system that I've ever seen uses /bin/sh.  The SUSv2 says that
system uses the 'sh' utility.  it doesn't say that it uses the SHELL
environment variable if certain prerequisites are met.

>I know that you always have trouble with users who copy /bin/bash to
>/bin/sh, it's a monthly issue on the mailing list.

Actually, I don't think this is a really big issue.

>My patch would solve this in an easy way.

This is not a new idea.  It has been discussed a lot over the years.  I
think this is one of the places where UWIN and Cygwin differ in matters
of philosophy.  I know that UWIN does a lot of extra stuff like this.
It's basically a matter of where you draw the line, I think.  I don't
see any reason to add this extra processing to cygwin.

cgf