Re: CVS 1.11: (reposted many times!) Will anybody answer me about "cvs co -r" bug under cygwin, finally???

Alexei Lioubimov wrote:

> So,
> Is it very difficult to give just a short answer?
> Help, please! --
> I'm trying to get the solution and sent this questions to cygwin list and to
> cvs
> list already twice -- but the result is poor -- i got no concrete answer!
>
> But,
> I CAN NOT USE ONE OF THE MAIN DEVELOPMENT TOOLS -- CVS,
> because "cvs co -r <tag>" is not working under Cygwin!!!
>
> I tried a  "cvs co -r mytag myproj" and receive the following:
>
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open directory .../CVS/mypoj/Attic: Not a
> directory
>
> Is it impossible to checkout a tag or revision if module doesn't
> contain Attics?

No, it is not impossible.  I do it all the time.  I don't know what your
problem is -- and I didn't want to pollute the mailing list with "it
works for me".  Apparently, it works for EVERYONE but you(*), because
nobody has responded.

(*) this implies a problem with your computers' setup and/or configuration

Lack of response sometimes means no-one has an answer for you.  It
appears that is the case here.  Sorry.  It is entirely possible you may
have to (GASP) debug this problem yourself.  You can download the cygwin
versions of the source code to gdbm and cvs using setup.exe, and then
follow the directions to rebuild those packages -- but set CFLAGS="-g"
first, in order to build a debuggable version.

You may even need to build a debuggable version of the cygwin kernel
(search the mailing list archives for instructions).

Use gdb, and figure out WHY cvs is trying to access Attic, when there is
no Attic in the project.  That's your first step -- and unfortunately,
since nobody else seems to be experiencing the problem, nobody else will
be able to debug it for you.  Including me.

--Chuck
gdbm, cvs maintainer

P.S. I debated whether to send this message at all -- unofficial mailing
list "policy" seems to be that reposted messages are downgraded, not
upgraded, in priority.  (IOW, "Why the hell haven't you evil bastards
answered my question yet" doesn't endear the poster to those with the
desired information.)  However, you do not seem to understand that --
and I've noticed a trend lately in "Answer me dammit" messages on the
list so I thought a little explanation about why messages sometimes go
unanswered was justified.

See:
   http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html -- section entitled: "Posting
Guidelines (Or: Why won't you/the mailing list answer my questions?)"

   http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html "How to ask
smart questions"