Re: Cygwin 1.3.6 on NT 4.0: init_cygheap error

Markus Brenner wrote:

> (1)
>
> I saw only a few references to this in past postings, but actually did not
> find a resolution (most recent posting is
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11.t/msg00299.html )
>
> I tried to install Cygwin 1.3.6 on our PC with NT 4.0, service pack 4.
>
> When invoking the bash shell (either through the Cygnus icon or within a
> DOS command prompt) I get the following message:
>
> "0 [main] bash 302 init_cygheap::etc_changed: Can't open /etc for checking,
> Win32 error 50"
>
> The /etc directory exists.
>
> When invoking another bash shell within the same window this message does
> not appear again.
>
> For compatibility and historical reasons the B20 release is also installed
> on the same machine (I am not sure whether this has any influence on the
> above described problem).

This is not good. I'm not 100 % sure if this is connected to your
problem though. You can try removing both then reinstalling. Or
try searching the mailing list for alternative ways of deinstalling
the old version while keeping the new one.

> (2)
>
> A second problem that appears as well is that when calling 'vim' from the
> above installation (6.0.93-1) I get the following error message in a pop-up
> window:
>
> "The dynamic link library cygintl.dll could not be found in the specified
> path <content of path variable>."
>
> When searching for this DLL I could not find this anywhere in the
> directories where Cygwin is installed.
>
> Could anybody provide input to the above described problems?

Well, search the mailing list archive for the following:
"[ANNOUNCEMENT] gettext-0.10.40-1" - this will help you
understand whats going on and how to fix you problem. You
need the old dll.