Re: w32api header problems

Hi!

Wednesday, 09 January, 2002 Jean le Roux jean@infosat.net wrote:

JlR> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:07:47PM +0300, egor duda wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Wednesday, 09 January, 2002 Jean le Roux jean@infosat.net wrote:
>>
>> JlR> I need to include /usr/include/w32api/winbase.h in order to use the
>> JlR> GetVolumeInformation(...) system call under windows.
>>
>> JlR> However, as i metioned in an earlier mail, DWORD seems to not be
>> JlR> defined. I tracked DWORD's definition down to windef.h.. but it seems
>> JlR> the whole include chain is a bit funny.. there are lots of
>> JlR> inter-dependencies which are not satisfied.
>>
>> JlR> Does anyone have any words of wisdom to make life a little easier, or
>> JlR> do I simply have to test for, and include, all the headers in w32api ?
>>
>> you ought to
>>
>> #include <windows.h>
>>

JlR> I've done this but <windows.h> seems to leave my code in a tangle :)
JlR> I suddenly have parse errors in my own header files, on normal
JlR> function declerations. I can only deduce that windows.h is leaving an
JlR> open ifdef or has unterminated strings or something silly.

it's easy to find out what the reason is. gcc has a very useful option
'--save-temps'. it instructs preprocessor, compiler and assembler to
leave their temporary files in place, so if you compiling, say, zzz.c,
you'll get zzz.i (output of preprocessor), zzz.s (assembly source --
output of compiler) and zzz.o (compiled binary object). You want to
look into zzz.i it shows what your source file turns into, and it's
almost always easy to see why.