RE: Newbie ssh question

Thanks for responding to my original question.

Although not strictly correct you pointed me in the right direction. For any
one else with this problem:

In order to use TCP keep alive on W2K the appropriate registry entries are:-

Key; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Values: KeepAliveTime and KeepAliveInterval

The M$ documentation on these is both somewhat vague and misleading. The
second value is the interval between keep-alive packets to be sent when no
reply has been received from the remote host (the number sent before giving
up being determined by the MaxDataRetries value) - the suggested value of
1000 (1000ms = 1s) is sensible. The first value is the time to wait before
sending a keep-alive message - the suggested value of 7200000 (=2hrs) is
nonsensical if intervening firewalls are detecting and blocking quiescent
connections. A value of 1s is more appropriate and is well on the safe side.

By default neither of these values is included in the registry. I have added
them, observed using TCPdump that they now cause keep-alives to be sent, and
all is now well.

Incidentally, the W98 etc registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP is also
present in the W2K registry - I have also added the above values to this
key, with no ill effects.

I find prodding around in the registry slightly less scary than tweaking
unix/linux config files, though the required reboots thereafter are a pain
in the ar**.

Thanks again - and to all the Cygwin/XFree86 developers for an excellent
product.

James