Program shuts down after trying to start

I just installed Xfree on Cygwin following the instructions in the
Cygwin/XFree86 User's Guide exactly, and I get a message that scrolls off
the screen about /tmp/.X11~unix should be set to root when I run "startx".
Also there are messages about /home/username/.Xauthority: No such file or
directory, and a message that says xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
:0xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0, the rest goes off the right side
of the box.

I am running Windows 98 Second Edition with all the latest updates and
patches as of today.
Please help!! Send reply to ross_s@excel.net as I don't have time to check
the archives every day, and I want to install XEmacs once the X11R6 install
is working.

  Thank you for any help.

  Ross Snoeyenbos