Updated Gnu tools manpages, maybe you'd like to know? ('gnumaniak')

Hello List Readers,

I checked the archives and didn't see signs that this was previously known: I came across a project ("gnumaniak") that is creating more updated man pages for (many of the core) Gnu apps we use ...

http://www.userfriendly.net/linux/RPM/contrib/noarch/noarch/gnumaniak-1.4-1.noarch.html

This seems like a good thing ... I know the GNU org prefer info docus as a policy, and are not keeping the manpages current. Several times i haven't had `info' working but man was, so i think this is a good thing. Not trying to argue policy or anything, just sharing information.

As an aside: the packaging posed a significant obstacle for me: this is done up as an rpm, and I didn't have any `rpm', and so I downloaded the `rpm' Cygwin port from:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/rpm-3.0.3/index.html

and tried to install it. I didn't see anything (in time) telling me to `touch /etc/mtab'  after running `rpm --initdb' tho, and so i cannot say I have it running yet (I'll have to reboot into NT before i can try to apply this newly-acquired information...).

BTW -- is there any other, newer, in any way 'better' rpm for Cygwin which i should know about?

Best to cygwin in the New Year,
     Soren Andersen

--
  Soren Andersen