Re: system details on my little ncurses struggles

Ok, I'm leaving the subject line as is, but changing the headers so this goes
to the list instead of you personally (the from was you and there was no
Reply-To).
Hopefully this is the correct thing to do.

<snip>
 >searched the archives.  The current version of ncurses, 5.2-7, requires
 >that you -DBROKEN_LINKER for both -static and dynamic builds.  Try
 >compiling with -DBROKEN_LINKER, but link dynamically (without -static)

<snip>

 >A-ha!  This is the BROKEN_LINKER problem.

<snip>

 >Try to link dynamically with -DBROKEN_LINKER first.  Then we can
 >investigate wacky COLS gdb problems.

Yes!

If I define BROKEN_LINKER, I can compile & then successfully link either way
(with or without -static).

I find it still crashes under gdb if linked without -static
(segfault at the first reference to LINES),
but if both compiled with BROKEN_LINKER and linked with -static,
then it runs under gdb without segfaulting.

Thanks much!