struggling with ncurses dll

(I apologize to Chuck for emailing him directly -- I just read instructions
saying to send to this email list, not to Chuck.)

Abstract:
I'm trying to compile a unix program making pretty simple use of curses.
It is working sporadically, and only with static linking I think, and
I'm getting "auto-import" warnings, so I'd like to understand how to
make this work with the dll (partly so I don't need to pass arguments
to configure, because every time I forget to do that, I waste a lot of
time). I seem to have incorrect includes, but I'm pretty inexperienced,
and only have been using the setup tool -- is the answer to fetch
newer includes manually ? Or am I just missing something in the setup
tool ?

Details:

setup.exe says I have

  libncurses5: 5.2-1
  libncurses6: 5.2-2
  ncurses: 5.2-7

I have
/usr/doc/Cygwin/ncurses-5.2.README

which leads me to believe I ought to have
/usr/include/ncurses/include/ncurses_dll.h

but I do not have this file (ncurses/include/ncurses_dll.h)

which may be the root of my problem ?
my /usr/include/ncurses/include/ncurses.h
says this:
         curses.h.in,v 1.96 2000/09/16 16:11:01

I just went thru a lot of reinstalling via the setup tool
a couple days ago, when I was reading a web page about the
splitting up of the curses stuff into three packages I think,
and it gave instructions wherein I installed one piece first,
then something else, then reinstalled the first one -- I don't
recall exactly, but I finally uninstalled all the curses stuff
via the setup tool, and just walked thru the instructions.