Installation does not work

What is wrong with the latest version of Cygwin?

I ran setup.exe and saved all files to a local directory
and then installed from a local directory.

i get a lot of messages about tar, file-utils etc not
being available during the install.

After the install is complete I click on the
"cygwin" icon to run a bash shell and I can
not cd to certain drives like "cd //u"  or
cd "//a" should take me to the U: and A:
drive respectively.  I remember this used
to work.

I have had this problem on two occassions now
about a month apart.

any help would be appreciated.