Re: Nothing compiles (revisited)

At 11:36 AM 6/17/01 -0400, you wrote:

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here but this problem can also occur
with g++ (of course it says g++ instead of gcc in the error message):

>checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
>cannot create executables.

>On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:27:29AM -0400, Doug Nebert wrote:
> >
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:02:15AM -0400, Doug Nebert wrote:
> >>
> >> To translate:
> >>
> >> % gcc -c foo.c
> >> gcc: You have an old version of cygwin1.dll somewhere on your
> system.  It's probably in your windows/system directory.  Please don't do
> that.  Delete this file and everything will work..
> >> *** exit code 1
> >
> >That did it. Guess it was an incomplete de-install ages ago...
> >Thanks.
>
>I don't believe that Cygwin installation ever put cygwin1.dll in the
>windows system directory.

Attempting to compile hello.cpp gives an error about libstdc++.a.
I have cygwin installed in drive D:\prog\cygwin ( /cygdrive/D/prog/cygwin )
(I don't know nothin' 'bout no steenkin' mount points). cygwin1.dll is
never put in C:/windows/system, it lives in D:\prog\cygwin\bin.  Somehow I
still ended up with an old version of cygwin1.dll after doing a fresh
install and one update from ftp.  The strange thing is that gcc worked fine
when used with configure, g++ didn't.  Uninstalling cygwin base and gcc,
g++, fortran using setup.exe and re-installing them fixed the problem.