Permission denied running programs in other directories

Hello,

I am having problems running some development programs and could use
some help.

I have been using Cygwin successfully running Windows 98.  Actually, I'm
running it under Linux using the program Win4Lin.  This causes the
filesystem to appear a little differently then under real windows since
its not using direct-to-disk FAT drivers.  I'm sure this is related to
part of the problem.  I'm not sure but they may be treated as network
drives.

Somewhere after a cygwin upgrade I noticed that when I tried to compile
programs it would give me the following error:

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec
'/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe':
Permission denied

I am able to reproduce the same error if I type the follow from the bash
prompt:

/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe
BASH: /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe: Permission denied

It will run fine if I run it from within that directory:

cd /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin
as.exe
[starts accepting input until I type ctrl-d]

For some extra strange stuff, if I run "strace
/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe" I get the following message:

strace.xe: error creating process /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe, (error 2)

And finally, if I reinstall the binutil package using the setup program
then it starts working... By that I mean it works until I shut down
windows... When I restart it I will get the same behavior as described
above.  Its as if the setup program is enabling some file or directory
permissions that are not setup upon bootup.

Any ideas?
Chris