inetd weirdness on w2k

Hi. I'm experiencing a weird problem in which inetd is not serving telnetd
and ftpd (or anything else) when started as a service, but seems to be
working when run from the bash prompt in debug mode (/usr/sbin/inetd -d). I
believe I've followed all the instructions for setting this up properly, the
global CYGWIN variable is set to ntsec and cygwin1.dll is in the global path.

When inetd is run as a service two confirmation messages appear in event
viewer, followed by a separate error for each network service specified in
/etc/inetd.conf. There error messages in event viewer state "ftp/tcp: unknown
service." and so on for each service.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks,

Justin