Re: Illegal User Error Attempting to Authenticate in sshd

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 05:32:08PM -0600, Dave Pinsker wrote:
> Using "cygrunsrv" to install a service is successful, however am unable
> to successfully start service either through "cygrunsrv -S" or Win's
> Service Manager. Returns the error "Service did not return an error",
> as seen in other postings. Numerous attempts with different configuration
> settings seem to say that using cygrunsrv with my configuration is a nogo.

A good way to debug problems in sshd when started as service is,
Use `-d' instead of `-D' as argument.  Then start the service
and after the service start has finished (successfully or not)
examine the debug output in /var/log/sshd.log.  This will give
you a clue, perhaps.  But note that when you start sshd with
the `-d' option, the service will automatically stop after the
first successful connection automatically.

In earlier posting on this list we discussed adding dependencies
to other services as e.g Tcpip or LanmanWorkstation.  But that's
not your problem here, probably.

Another very important point is, check the permissions of the
/etc directory and the permissions of /etc/passwd, /etc/group
and /etc/ssh* overcarefully.  After an installation with setup,
the permissions are sometimes so that SYSTEM doesn't have
appropriate permissions on /etc or subsequent files as soon as
`ntsec' is used.  It's not necessary for SYSTEM to have write
access but read access should be given.  So try

	chmod 755 /etc
	chmod 644 /etc/passwd /etc/group

etc.

Corinna