RE: compiling python extensions under Cygwin

cliff@ember.com writes:

>I'm trying to move some python extensions from Linux to Cygwin,
>and I don't know how to compile them properly.  Searching the web
>didn't yield much info, so any examples/howtos would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Specific questions:
>
>1.  Cygwin python (2.1.1) doesn't seem to import ".so" files, so I
>assume that I must compile to ".dll"  Could someone confirm this?
>Are there alternatives?

Well yes, this is windows !

>2.  When I try to create a ".dll" using the information on the Cygwin
>website, I get a linker warning saying that it could not find a
>reference to mainCRTStartup (even though my extension does not
>have any GUI).  Importing the resulting .dll leads to a segfault.
>What gives?

Hmm,

For starters I reccomend using python's Distutils and then building
extensions should just happen automagically in a cross-platform way.

If you really want to hand build extensions with Makefiles I suggest
downloading the Cygwin Python source distribution and studying
how it is done there.

specifically look at the following make defines

CCSHARED
LDSHARED
BLDSHARED

But learn to use the Distutils module,
it is MUCH simpler once you get the hang of it :-)

Questions about using Distutils should be asked on the Python List

Cheers

Norman