Setup Failed to Create /home directory

2001/11/09 09:11:06 Starting cygwin install, version 2.78.2.15

I ran into a problem with my terminal (similar to :"WARNING: terminal
is not fully functional" and pro blems with vi" mail archive) so I
uninstalled and reinstalled cygwin. After the reinstall I still had
the problem described above, plus I didn't have a home directory or a
user directory (I'm sure the previous install created these for me).
Also, when I start cygwin from the shortcut (I'm on NT4) I end up in
the /cygdrive/c directory instead of somewhere down in
/cygdrive/c/cygwin... (where ... should be /home/meierd).

I've reviewed my setup.log and setup.log.full but everything looks normal there, no errors reported, but no log messages indicating directories being created either).

 I've partially solved the terminal problem (unset TERMINFO; export TERM=cygwin) although I've got to fix it everytime I launch a new cygwin window. I want to add the fix to my .profile but I don't even have a user directory.

I've seen some posts that indicate I may need to do 'adduser' or 'useradd' or some such?

 Is there another solution to the terminal problem (like fixing the root cause for why it went sour)?

My cygwin.bat file contains:
@echo off

C:
chdir \cygwin\bin