Re: inetd and microsoft nfs

At 07:41 PM 11/12/2001, Ryan Winter wrote:
>Just wanted to know if anyone else has used this combination of
>software.
>
>When I access nfs mounted drives (using microsoft nfs) with the inetd
>the symlinks magically disappear (they dont appear with ls and I can
>change into that directory either). When I view the directory locally
>with cygwin (or explorer), there is no problem with the symlinks.
>
>My question is: Exactly how does the inetd work that it could cause this
>effect. The only though I have is that the inetd is somehow changing the
>login state which is effecting the nfs mount.

I expect your problem is similar to the following FAQ entry.

Why don't symlinks work on samba-mounted filesystems?
http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC65

Obviously, the solution is not exactly the same.  My guess is your NFS
software is the component at fault but you'd need to debug this
situation to be sure.  Why not use UNC/drive mappings for Windows machines
or Samba for other machines?  That's one solution that doesn't require
any debugging! ;-)