Re: A bug (?) in the current setup.exe 2.78.2.15

On Sun, 2001-11-04 at 05:20, Brian Keener wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > Does this imply that the older file is explicitly marked as TEST
> > somewhere?
>
> I'm not sure if it has to do totally with TEST, and I think you could get the
> same problem with CURR VS TEST or CURR VS PREV.  I believe it is simply a
> matter of the first available hole and we plug in a higher version number - but
> I haven't look at the most recent code but I have played with it in the past.

Ah, that jibes with what Chris said in his patch. I think I see it now.

> > As for that algo, yes it sounds buggy to me. I think the solution should
> > be that if a package has no explicit trust (we have to guess at
> > prev/curr/test) and it's greater than the version in TEST and its a
> > locally scanned file, we just ignore it. That or replace the current
> > TEST item with the new greater versioned one.
>
> I always wanted to modify the logic in the scan_downloaded files such that it
> reorganized the files in the structure (prev,current,test) based on the version
> numbers - sort of ignoring what setup.ini had for prev, curr, and test.  Bear
> in mind here - I am only referring to when you install from local directory not
> the install from internet or download from internet options.

k.

> When you install from the internet or download from the internet - there is no
> reason to be adding files from the hard disk to the structure.  Installing from

Actually, there may be. It allows a nice 'merged' view of the packages
available. It would be sad to lose that.

> the internet should be based on setup.ini and download from the internet (in my
> opinion) should be based on what is available according to setup.ini and does
> not exist on my hard drive already and then also give you the option of
> redownloading from the internet the files that exist on your hard drive that
> setup knows about.

Sounds neat... Added to the wishlist (and patches are gratefully
accepted) :].

Rob