Re: cygiwn newline character

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:51:18 -0500, Wayne Willcox <wayne@reliant.knighthammer.com> wrote:

> Looks like the shell built-in is the echo that has been changed.
> Good to know since that means you can use the standard echo from
> the /bin directory.

It is NOT new syntax (here is part of bash 2.0.3 man page (from RH 6.0
Linux 1999-04-06)

echo [-neE] [arg ...]
    Output the args, separated by spaces.  The return status is always 0.
    If -n is  specified, the trailing newline is suppressed.  If the -e
    option is given, interpretation of the following backslash-escaped
    characters is enabled.  The -E option disables the interpretation of
    these escape characters, even on systems where they are interpreted
    by default.
       ^^^^^^^^
Bash (as distributed by RedHat) is configured NOT to recognize escaped
(\) characters. There is an option (--enable-usg-echo-default) to change
that when compiling bash. An alternative is to alias echo to "echo -e".

I don't think that the Cygwin people (i.e. Corinna) should change
anything. I think that Linux is our model system and the current
defaults are satisfactory.

BTW. I don't use ash, and I changed my Cygwin sh to be bash. (I know it
     is a little slower, but I want to be sure that my scripts work the
     way it works on Linux)

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign