More about slowing down the machine

Win98se (4.10.2222) en_US; Cygwin1.dll 1.3.4s (2001-10-11 [I think]).

I was attempting another build last p.m. and, to get a handle on the
slowdown reported in
I ran Windows Taskinfo while it was processing.

./configure went fine [along with everything it called]

As soon as MAKE started, the time anomalies began.  Watching the
statistics with the running procedure stack:
rxvt->WINOA386->bash->VM:->bash.2->make.1->sh.1->make.2->sh.2->gcc
it appears that a lot of time is spent in *make.2*.  Since that process
[I think] should simply be waiting for *sh.2* to complete, this looks
like a spin-lock to me.

To repeat, when the anomaly is happening Windows is unable to track the
mouse and the Windows clock is being updated at about 1/4 speed.  The
build started at 18:30 - and the clock was right - and ended at 21:00
with the clock reading 19:05.  Somehow the message queue(s) aren't being
checked and "pre-emptive scheduling" isn't very much so.

I would like to help track this down instead of bitching all the time.
How should I instrument this, since it's all wrapped up like an onion?
If make builds OOTB, I suppose I could compile it with profiling.  Would
that help?  Strace would probably show something useful - the problem
would be to find who to trace and monkey about with the makefiles so it
happens: bleaghh.

Any wise suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around
nice guy.