bash 2.04 can't complete ~/name if $HOME set to c:/users/foo?

On Monday 1 Oct 01, Matt Landau writes:
> My environment has HOME set to c:/users/matt, but bash seems to insist on
> converting this to a cygwin-style path, /c/users/matt.  This confuses the
> hell out of programs like Emacs that don't understand cygwin paths, of
> course.

More precisely, Cygwin sets HOME to a *POSIX*-style path.  Cygwin is a
POSIX emulation layer.  Note that it only does this with certain
environment variables that it knows about, like HOME and PATH.

If your non-Cygwin application (like Emacs) requires HOME be set in a
non-Cygwin way, then don't start emacs from your Cygwin bash shell.

If you must invoke your emacs command from the Cygwin bash shell, you
could put the emacs command in a windows .bat file, and invoke that
file from Cygwin bash.  In the .bat file, your HOME variable should be
set the way Emacs needs it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David