Re: telnet/login doesn't work

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 08:03:20PM -0700, Srinivas Kommu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw the past few months' posts but couldn't get a solution. When I do a
> telnet/ftp/login to my w2k box, I get the login prompt, but whatever
> login/password I enter, it says "Login incorrect". I tried everything I
> could: I read login.README, inetd.README. I set CYGWIN env variable to
> "ntsec binmode tty"; I even set the registry variable. My inetd is installed
> as LocalSystem; I tried running /usr/sbin/inetd -d from the command line. I
> did a "mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd" and my account is local (not an outside
> domain). Is there something that I'm missing here? How do I debug this?

Did you set CYGWIN in the W2K system environment and then did you reboot?
That's essential when starting a service.

Another thing which is important is that /etc/group exists when running
apps to change user context (login/sshd/ftpd).  Is it ok? Otherwise
just create it like your passwd:  mkgroup -l >/etc/group

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.