Re: DirectX Frustrations

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Cc: <darco@bigfoot.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2001 8:36 PM
Subject: Re: DirectX Frustrations

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 08:19:18PM -0700, Rob Quattlebaum wrote:
> >I have gotten it to the point where everything compiles, and I fail at
> >linktime.
> >
> >Here is a log of the GCC builds: >http://www.voria.net/darco/geode/02.txt
>
> Your link line looks like this:
>
> gcc -g -mwindows -lddraw -ldinput -ldsound -ldxguid -lwinmm  src/winproc.o
>
> The '-lwhatever' options do not precede the object files they go AFTER
> the object files.  This has been mentioned here repeatedly.  It's not
> a cygwin issue.  This is how gcc and ld work everywhere.

Ahh. Thanks for pointing this out. Seems to work like a charm now. I
appologize for looking like an idiot, but at the moment I am so happy that
it's working that I don't mind.

> I suspect that you'll probably have lots of other problems given all of
the
> warnings that are in your build log but this much at least you should
> fix.

Oddly, when I compile using visual C rather than GCC, there are no warnings.
(I normaly treat warnings as errors) The warnings that GCC are displaying
are curious -- they seem like things that VisualC should have picked up.
This will all be fixed probably within the next few days.

> I'm surprised that you couldn't find this if you actually have
> looked in the email archives as you indicated.

When people get fustrated, they get sloppy in their work -- as surely I
have. I did searches for DirectX and DirectDraw (the only things I thought I
needed to look through) and I do not remember ever reading any information
regarding this issue. (Which makes sense, it having nothing to do with
directx)

Live and learn I suppose.

- Rob Quattlebaum