Re: vfork problems on Win98 -- is there a fix?

I may have run into a related problem under Win2K.  I tried to make
calc OOTB and got as far as the help directory before it started spawning
as many sub-shells as it could, until the machine more or less stopped.
It seemed to be trying to resize the swap file to make more room, but
there should have been no need for the scores of sh.exe's showing up in the
task manager list.  This effect always seemed to occur at the same point in
the make, so it doesn't appear to be an accumulated memory loss fault, from
these symptom, but it could very well be related for fork().

I ended up avoiding the problem by making the help sub tree under solaris,
and then finishing the x86 build under cygwin.  It didn't produce a completely
correct binary, but it sort of works.