Re: Some inetutils don't work

Good question.  Here's the text in the inetutils readme that originally
confused me when I was trying to get inetd working:

  - The environment variable CYGWIN must be either set in the system
     environment to be active from start on or you can set CYGWIN thru
     the registry:
     Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
     create a REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path to the
application,
     eg. "C:\usr\bin\inetd.exe" and with the value equal to the preferred
     CYGWIN settings, eg "binmode tty ntsec".

Many moons ago when I read this, I thought (incorrectly) that I either
set the CYGWIN environment variable to the path to inetd or enter the
path to inetd AND the preferred cygwin settings in the registry.  Since
the second seemed to provide more info, I did the registry thing.  But I
think I had set the CYGWIN environment variable to the path to inetd
during my experiments of trying to get rlogin to work.  Eventually, I
just gave up on trying to get it to work and contented myself with telnet.

-Sandeep

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 01:46:56PM -0700, Sandeep Tamhankar wrote:
>
>>Did you set your CYGWIN environment variable to point to the location of
>>inetd.exe?
>>

> Huh?  Why would you ever do that?  I think you don't understand how
> the CYGWIN environment variable is used.  It doesn't point to the location
> of anything.
>
> cgf
>
> --

Sandeep V. Tamhankar