Re: Large File Handling - gcc 2.95.2-6 WinNT

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 10:04:51AM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> On Monday 6 Aug 01, Christopher Faylor writes:
> > On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 07:07:02PM -0400, Andy Henderson wrote:
> > >I have a c program compiled using -mno-cygwin running on WinNT and reading a
> > >16GB file. It starts to lose partial data on record 40904665  where the
> > >records are 105 in size and eventually dies taking NT with it. This looks to
> > >be a 4GB file size problem. The program has run on aix AIX using the
> > >function fopen64 but I could not find an equivalent in the gcc libraries. I
> > >am still using fopen. Are functions available for large file handling.
> >
> > No.  As has been discussed in this mailing list within the last two weeks,
> > Cygwin does not support large files.
> >
> > And, to forestall the next inevitable question, we have no plans to add this
> > functionality.
>
> I guess this should go into the FAQ, then.

Just the part about "no support of 64bit file access currently."

We had that question often and Chris answer is somewhat short.
"no plans to add it" means, nobody is scheduled to do it and we
don't have any volunteers which are interested in adding it
currently. OF COURSE we would gladly appreciate any work on this.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.