Can't execute non-Cygwin applications after using socket().

Hello.

Background: I am using cygwin to develop a web-server like application.
Part of this requires the ability to execute external commands in
response to an HTTP request.  Thanks to what is probably an unrelated
problem, I need to execute DJGPP-compiled executables, using the
system() function.

This appears to successfully run the program, but then prints the
message "Signal 127", shows an "invalid page fault" box referring to
SH.EXE, then resumes execution of my main program.

The same occurs for normal DOS applications (such as command.com).  For
command-line win32 applications, like "start.exe /?", I get the "Signal
127" message, but no error box.

The above problems do not occur if I haven't called socket() first.

Is there any way I can run DJGPP executables from a Cygwin application
after calling socket() ?

Thanks for forthcoming all advice,
Edmund.