RE: ntsec, passwd, and group issues again

On Thursday, August 02, 2001 1:08 AM, Corinna Vinschen
[SMTP:cygwin@cygwin.com] wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 04:40:34PM -0700, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> > OK, this time, I've read the manual, and I thought I understood exactly
> > what ntsec is supposed to do with file permissions and ownership and
how
> > the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files are used.  I started
experimenting,
> > and find that I'm obviously still somewhat confused.
>
> The below description is probably because you have the "propagate
> inheritable permissions to this object" set on nearly everything
> on the box. That's the default behaviour on NT/W2K and Cygwin
> unfortunately sets permissions so that they are inherited to
> subfolder and files as well up to 1.3.2.

I'm not on that box right now, but I did note that inherit permissions was
checked on everything.  I guess that's not good <g>.

> This results (as in your case) in a colorful mess of permissions
> some of them explicitely set on the object by Cygwin and some of
> them inherited from parent directories.
>
> The next Cygwin version will not set inheritence for permissions
> but it can't switch that off automatically for already existing
> directory trees.

By next version, I presume you are saying - not what you get right now by
running setup.exe, right?

> The problem is the complexity of the NTFS permissions. It's not
> easy to understand them and all their effects especially if you
> only can learn it by the do-it-yourself way.

Let's see if I understand:

1.  My current version of Cygwin is going to have problems on Windows 2000
no matter what.  I can turn off permission inheritance on c:\cygwin and
subdirectories, but anything created via cygwin will have permission
inheritance turned on and will thus be a mangled mishmash.  I presume this
is a W2K issue that does not occur on NT.

2.  The next Cygwin version will work right for objects created under
Cygwin, but existing directories will be wrong unless I fix them manually.
 I presume the to do list includes modifying setup at some point to omit
permission inheritance when installing files/directories.