basic stuff

Hello,

I'm new to cygwin, not new to programming though.
I scanned through the documentation, but didnt find an
answer to my questions. maybe im just that blind.

I would like to work on some socket programming on
windows and I'm trying to find a good compiler. since
I have a good background in unix programming, i
figured cygwin would be my best bet. but there are
some problems:

I like using synedit (www.mkidesigns.com) for my IDE.
after ive compiled the program and i run it, it tells
me it needs cygwin1.dll. if i copy this file to
windows/system, im able to run the program.

so my questions are, do i have to work with cygwin
directly in the 'unix' environment? or is it possible
to work completely in a win32 environment? are all the
programs compiled to the cygwin.dll, and if so,
wouldnt that make it rather hard to run that program
on another windows machine?

if cygwin isnt what im really looking for in a
compiler, could someone else suggest another free one
that would suit my needs?

thank you

=====
----(Joe Topjian)---------