Re: documentation & dear love

This may be way out there.  But I think there are a lot of us that just
want to use some of the Unix tools in our native Windows
environment.   (Your group #2 from some past message).  I would like to see
a place in the documentation that talks about the issues we face.  I know I
have to end up writing my own so that I do not forget what I had to do to
get something to work.   I am sure other people are in this same boat.  And
it would be nice to not have to re-invent the wheel every time.

If this is to far out of the scope for a request then I apologize up front.

Bret

At 01:27 PM 6/27/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:19:51AM -0500, Jason Dufair wrote:
> >>However, I can see that the documentation could be misconstrued.
> >>Cygwin's documentation is not perfect.  I don't know of any project
> >>which has perfect documentation.  I would dearly love to have someone
> >>actively working on it.
> >>
> >I'll step up and volunteer to work on documentation.  I've been building
> >up to working on coding (getting cygwin and the tools to compile for a
> >start) since I'm a hacker first, but I am aware that too many open
> >source projects are in dire need of documentatation and I'm getting
> >sufficient number of technical challenges at work at this point.
> >
> >Unless you prefer to have more people writing code, of course.
> > Christopher (or anyone), can you give me a ballpark idea of what needs
> >to be done and where I might start?  I've spent a fair amount of time
> >under the "Contributing" link, but it seems mostly to be about writing
> >code.  Should I look at updating the user's guide?  The FAQ?  I've been
> >using cygwin since about b17 and have been on and off the list, so I
> >think I'm fairly qualified to help with the docs.  And I'll certainly
> >consult the list or whomever I should consult about suggested updates
> >and changes.
>
>I'd appreciate contributions to whatever you find most interesting.
>
>We have a FAQ maintainer but I'm sure he'd appreciate specific words or
>improvements.
>
>The docs need a lot of work (as always), so if you are so inclined, I
>would appreciate updates there.  I actually haven't looked at them in a
>while so I don't know how much rot they have suffered.  It is obvious
>that the philosophy section should be beefed up.
>
>The docs and the FAQ are all under CVS control.  Maybe we need a
>"Contributing docs" link which talks about how to modify the
>documentation?
>
>cgf
>
>--

Bret Jordan                       Dean's Office
LAN Manager              College of Engineering
801.585.3765                 University of Utah
              jordan@coe.utah.edu