Re: Blunt Tools (was: cgf does not want private email about cygwin)

Hi!

Monday, 25 June, 2001 Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:

CSW> Okay, that was a little over-the-top.  But as I said, personally I'm
CSW> quite close to "shunning" everybody -- by abandoning the list and cygwin
CSW> myself. So sure, the list has (generally) gotten more curt -- but I
CSW> wouldn't characterize that as rude.  The "curtness" is there for good
CSW> reason -- it was provoked.

i think the reason is cygwin (and unix way in general) have gained
some popularity. ain't it what we wanted? ;-)

hence the number of newbies.

i, personally, being not so active as Chris, Corinna, Earnie, Larry,
and you, get next to nothing of cygwin-related personal e-mail. and
usually i'm just skipping questions which _i know_ can be easily
answered by simple archives search. so, speaking of curtness, it looks
like pretty natural reaction to me.

CSW> Want to unsubscribe from this list?

given that "unsubscribe" kind of messages have been (almost totally)
driven out from this list (i attribute it to this line, though Chris
may have developed some sophisticated filter, which dispels them
before they're sent to subscribers), i believe it's reasonable to add
one more line:

"Before asking questions here, take a look at http://cygwin.com/ask.html";

and, as there're possibly lots of "mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com"; all over
the web, first-time posters should get "introductory note" with
faq/archive/google instructions, and those first posts shouldn't be
distributed.