Re: telnet's broken

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:37:33PM +0100, Keith Starsmeare wrote:
> I can no longer cd to UNC paths in a telnet window; I now get permission denied
> (although it works if I'm currently logged into the machine at the console). To
> access another windows box I need to map a drive with net use and give it my
> username (with domain) and password.
>
> Also one of the NT applications I use now gives me a "Initialisation of dynamic
> link library ...USER32.dll failed."
>
> I'm not quite sure when this started happening and it's quite irritating. I

It began with 1.3.2. I suspect you have changed the primary group
of your user account to another group than returned by mkpasswd?
If so, change it back (mostly "None" = 513 or "Domain Users" = 513)
and try again. If that doesn't work either, you will have to try
a current developers snapshot where that effect should have been
reverted (and where you should be able to keep the group setting
as you wish).

FYI: The effect is related to the ability of 1.3.2 to change the
user context without password. Due to the way the DLL tries to
figure out if it should use the ability, it chooses to do it
that way. Unfortunately, changing the user context that way from the
LocalSystem account results in not being able to connect to shares
which need an authentification. I'm open to any hint which
allows that again.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.