RE: I need to create a stable snapshot - can you recommend a tag?

Actually, I consider Frank's request ambiguous, since he didn't really
define what he meant by "stable" and he didn't state the parts of the
Cygwin distribution he wants (sounds like you and he may have spoken
more completely on this subject so that you understand exactly the
pieces he wants).  I assumed that his concern was for the DLL, which is
the only thing I ever refer to as Cygwin 1.3.2 (though I guess I should
have been more clear and stated Cygwin 1.3.2 DLL).  If this is all that
his product requires to run, then he doesn't need any other package.  If
not, well, then he needs to figure out which packages are of concern to
him and pull those and the "proper" version there too.  This is something
I doubt others can help him with much though, at least not without more
information (and I'd recommend taking a stab at it first before involving
the list).

In terms of getting some environment which has specific versions of
specific packages in place for any and all to install (i.e. controlling
which versions of which packages are installed instead of just pulling
the latest from the net), what's wrong with downloading what you want,
putting it in a local or network directory, and having users install via
setup from this directory?  Setup supports this notion, no?