Re: cygrunsrv fails to start

Hi Corinna...

I fear that some --dep hay help, but for the wrong reasons, it may just
change the timing so that the problem disappears for now without actually
being fixed.

I don't think that I see any actual dependencies. Do you suspect any?

So...I've been reading what I could find about services and have a couple
questions. Since the problem occurs only on (one of) my machine, I should
see what I can learn from it for all of us.

1) How do I build cygrunsrv? (configure and make instructions...and I saw a
fill in the blank in the make file)

2) When the SCM autostarts a service, does it also use start_service? Or is
there other code involved when the system starts the service at boot-up?

3) I think that it may be a deadlock of some kind, rather than a --dep
problem.

4) Does the SCM actually call service_handler (as in the comments), or is it
just sc.exe and any SCP (GUI panels) that call service_handler?

5) I was thinking about getting the checkpoint value into the system log so
I can see how far it got?

My log has two messages. First

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the OpenSSH service to connect.

followed by

The OpenSSH service failed to start due to the following error: The service
did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

6) I don't see where the first error message in my log file is comming from.
Do you know where it is comming from?

7) Is there any problem with adding some syslog_starterr calls to mark
success also to see how far it gets at startup? (ie will this cause any
undesired interactions with being a service?)

Thanks,

...Karl