Re: The heating on notebook

On serious note, it is *possible* that cygwin apps (or any native app,
for that matter) might get stuck in some sort of loop that prevents the
OS from using the HALT instruction to save power (NT/W2K only).  Or that
prevents RAIN (a CPUcooler program) to use the HALT instruction (W9x
only).

This can lead to the appearance that "cygwin makes my computer get hot"
-- when the truth is, you computer is DESIGNED to get hot when the CPU
is at 100% (or high) usage.  But you don't ordinarily see that kind of
usage -- let's face it, most of the time a computer is sitting there,
waiting for you to type something.  So you THINK your machine is
supposed to run cool, but cygwin makes it get hot -- the truth is that
you computer is usually bored (e.g. using the HALT instruction to save
power), and a poorly written cygwin program doesn't let it get bored...

I have NO evidence that this is happening, but I thought I'd just throw
some gas on the fire...

--Chuck