Re: function pointers & DLL's

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Jesper Eskilson wrote:

> On Sun, 6 May 2001, Alan Hourihane wrote:
>
> > Everything works fine. But what I'm trying to do is find a way at the linker
> > stage that negates me having to make these __declspec statements. Is there
> > any way this is possible ?
>
> For VC++ (at least) __declspec(dllimport) is purely optional and never
> required. The only this they do is to enable the compiler to skip an
> indirection in the jump and generate a slightly more efficient jump.

For GCC (at least :-) __declspec(dllimport) is optional for functions but
is mandatory for variables. The side-effect of the above is, that function
address is no more static and cannot be used as static initializer, e.g.
in function dispatch table like

extern __declspec(dllimport) foo();

static dispatch tbl = {
   foo,
}

That is clear, because __declspec(dllimport) basically replaces any
reference to an object by a thunk that returns object's address.

-andrej