System freezing momentarily during make

Hello All,

      Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it in
      the archives under the keywords I searched.

      The problem is this:  I'm using Cygwin to run a GCC cross
      compiler, and at certain points during the make, the system will
      freeze for from between 1 and 4 seconds.  This happens on my
      system as well as two friends who are doing similar development.

      By freeze, I mean that the mouse stops moving and that my WinAmp
      stream starts looping.  This is <expletive> annoying, as it
      means that I can't listen to WinAmp or do anything else while a
      build progresses.

      I'm running Cygwin 1.3.1 with gcc version 2.9-arm-000512 and
      make version 3.79.1.  My Windows version is 98SE.  I'm guessing
      that upgrading to Windows 2000 would fix this, but is that the
      only way?

      Thoughts?

Tim Mensch                             mailto:timmensch@spamcop.net

 One's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last
 is to come to terms with everything. Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
 (1742 - 1799)